There has been a change in how we engage in banking or financial transactions in recent times. While some of them are due to the reforms in the financial sector, major changes are in effect owing to technological advancements and widespread use of the net. Gone are the days when you could pay others only through cheque or carry cash physically. The introduction of debit or ATM cards has changed the scenario. Now, you can make transactions using a debit card. You need to remember the four-digit pin and enter it after providing the card. Your payment will be done in a jiffy. You can also withdraw the cash that you require from the ATM. This has made it possible for you to carry minimum cash while travelling. This way, you will reduce the risk of your cash being stolen. However, one might be sceptical about using a debit card for security reasons. However, you can be assured that the debit cards are quitter safe. You will get into trouble only if you do not follow the safety protocols like not giving your card to others or sharing the PIN.
SBI Debit card
The state bank of India provides debit cards to the bank’s account holders. It is in a bid to ease the way you transact and avoid thrush in the branches for simple transactions. Previously, the debit card will be sent to you with the PIN in a sealed package. However, in recent times in line with the Go green or green earth initiative, you are now provided with a debit card, and you can generate the PIN in the ATM by following some simple steps.
Things you need to activate the SBI debit card
- You should have an active mobile number.
- You should have given the number to the bank, and it should be officially the registered mobile number for your account.
- You should have registered for the use of internet banking services. You can then activate it online. However, you might have to go to the SBI ATM near you, as you might have to go there to activate the debit card for the first time.
- Now you enter the first two digits of the pin. You will enter the numbers of your choice. Now, the last two digits that will complete the PIN will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Now enter the four digits and verify the PIN. Then confirm the change.
- Now the card is ready for use. You can use this pin for the transactions.
An alternative method to generate the SBI debit card is to call the toll-free number or the customer care helpline number. You have got to choose the ATM card and prepaid card service. The steps include Calling the toll-free number, which is 1800112211 or 18004253800. You will receive recorded instructions.
- Now enter the account number and press confirm. Ensure that the account number is related to the debit card. Confirm.
- You will now receive an SMS with the OTP. The OTP is valid for 2 days.
- Visit the SBI ATM. Choose the PIN change option
- Enter the OTP.
- Enter the new PIN and confirm.
Steps to on/off the debit card online and by SMS
The debit card’s security has risen to an all-new level with the SBI Quick Debit card switch on/off service. This can be done online or by SMS.
- Register your mobile number for the savings account about the debit card
- Download from the play store the SBI Quick card app
- Register on the app with the ATM /Debit card number. use the registration option
- Open the SBI Quick app.
- On the next screen, opt for the ATM card switch on-off option.
- Then select the ATM card switch on/off option.
- Now enter the last 4 digits of your debit card number in the space provided.
- Now you will be able to switch on/off the service at will. Here you will have the choice to choose between channels and options. For example, if you do not wish to use your card for online transactions, you might switch off the same here.
- Then click the ok option. You will receive an SMS immediately that the ATM option is locked.
- However, if you want to use it for online transactions, you might switch it on. Then you will receive a popup message asking you if you want to go ahead with the online transaction. Click on yes to go ahead with the transaction. Click ok.
- Now, you will receive an SMS stating that the service is enabled.
You can control the on/off feature through SMS. This will ensure the complete protection of your ATM card.